Place:


Barrowford  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barrowford like this:

BARROWFORD, a township and a chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the East Lancashire railway, 2 miles W of Colne; and has a post office under Burnley. Acres, 1,540. Real property, £7,754. Pop., 2,880. Houses, 612. The property is much subdivided. Many of the inhabitants are employed in cotton manufactories.—The chapelry was constituted in 1843; and bears the name of Barrowford-Colne, or Colne-Barrowford. ...


Pop., 2,796 Houses, 591. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church is recent; and there are four dissenting chapels.

Barrowford through time

Barrowford is now part of Pendle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Pendle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barrowford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barrowford, in Pendle and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/246

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barrowford ".