Place:


Higher Openshaw  Lancashire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Higher Openshaw like this:

Openshaw, Higher, eccl. dist., Manchester par., Lancashire, forming part of Openshaw town, pop. 512; P.O.

The location is the cluster of buildings on the nineteenth century OS First Series map near the modern locations of Higher Openshaw Community School and Higher Openshaw Primary Care Centre. The name "Higher Openshaw" has not been found on a topographic map, the search including the OS 1:10,560 map of 1848 (http://www.british-history.ac.uk/mapsheet.aspx?compid=55125&sheetid=4740; date accessed: 10 September 2011). Additional information about this locality is available for Openshaw

Higher Openshaw through time

Higher Openshaw is now part of Manchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Manchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Higher Openshaw itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Higher Openshaw, in Manchester and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24583

Date accessed: 14th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Higher Openshaw".