Place:


Hawcoat  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hawcoat like this:

HAWCOAT, a village and a township in Dalton-inFurness parish, Lancashire. The village stands on an eminence, 2 miles W of Dalton; and contains a remarkable tower which commands extensive views to the Lake mountains, Fleetwood, Wales, and the Isle of Man. The township was returned in 1860 as possessing real property to the value of £41, 174; of which £33, 627 were in railways, and £28 in quarries. The manor belongs to the Duke of Buccleuch.

Additional information about this locality is available for Barrow in Furness

Hawcoat through time

Hawcoat is now part of Barrow in Furness district. Click here for graphs and data of how Barrow in Furness has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hawcoat itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hawcoat, in Barrow in Furness and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24575

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hawcoat ".