Place:


Rhodes  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rhodes like this:

RHODES, a village and a chapelry in Middleton parish, Lancashire. The village stands 1¼ mile W S W of Middleton r. station, and has a post-office under Manchester. The chapelry was constituted recently. Pop., about 1, 600. Extensive calico printing-works are here, and employ about 1,000 persons. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £100. Patron, the Rector of Middleton. The church is a neat structure, with a small spire. There are chapels for Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Swedenborgians, and a public library and reading-room.

Additional information about this locality is available for Middleton

Rhodes through time

Rhodes is now part of Rochdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rochdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rhodes itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rhodes, in Rochdale and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24548

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rhodes ".