Place:


Raughton Head  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Raughton Head like this:

RAUGHTON-HEAD, a chapelry in Castle-Sowerby parish, Cumberland; on the river Caldew, 3¾ miles S by W of Dalston r. station, and 7 S S W of Carlisle. It has a post-office under Carlisle. Rated property, £1, 941. Pop., not separately returned. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £100.* Patrons, Twelve Trustees. The church was rebuilt in 1678, and enlarged in 1760. There is a slightly endowed school.

Additional information about this locality is available for Castle Sowerby

Raughton Head through time

Raughton Head is now part of Carlisle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carlisle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Raughton Head itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Raughton Head, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24535

Date accessed: 25th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Raughton Head ".