Place:


Matlock Bank  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Matlock Bank like this:

MATLOCK-BANK, a hamlet in Matlock parish, Derbyshire; near Matlock-Bridge. It has one large hydropathic establishment, three others of considerable size, and four smaller ones, all delightfully situated, and containing excellent accommodation. It has also an Independent chapel and a Primitive Methodist chapel; and the former was built in 1866, is in the early English style, has a tower and spire, contains 540 sittings, and cost about £2,100. Bridge House is the residence of J. Cash, Esq.; and Balmoral House, of Mr. A. Morrell.

Additional information about this locality is available for Matlock

Matlock Bank through time

Matlock Bank is now part of Derbyshire Dales district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derbyshire Dales has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Matlock Bank itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Matlock Bank in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24501

Date accessed: 09th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Matlock Bank ".