Place:


Albury  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Albury like this:

ALBURY, a parish in Bishop-Stortford district, Herts; on the river Ash, 4 miles W of Stanstead r. station, and 4½ NW of Bishop-Stortford. It has a post office under Ware; and a fair is held in it, at Putmore-Heath, on 17 July. Acres, 3,182. Real property, £5,375. Pop., 700. Houses, 147. The property shows pleasant scenery, and is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Treasurer of St. Paul's. The church contains a brass of Sir R. Verney, and a tomb of De la Lee of Albury Hall. Charities, £19.

Albury through time

Albury is now part of East Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Albury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Albury in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2441

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Albury ".