Place:


Dishley  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dishley like this:

DISHLEY-CUM-THORPACRE, a parish in Loughborough district, Leicester; adjacent to the river Soar and the Midland railway, 1½ mile NW of Loughborough. Post town, Loughborough. Acres, 890. Real property, £1, 742. Pop., 194. Houses, 54. Bakewell, the distinguished agricultural improver, lived and laboured here; and has bequeathed to the place marked benefits of his skill. ...


The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £150.* Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church was built in 1845. A school has £11 from endowment, and other charities £11.

Additional information about this locality is available for Thorpe Acre

Dishley through time

Dishley is now part of Charnwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Charnwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dishley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dishley, in Charnwood and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24390

Date accessed: 16th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dishley ".