Place:


Sutcombe  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sutcombe like this:

SUTCOMBE, a parish, with a village, in Holsworthy district, Devon; 5 miles N by E of Holsworthy r. station. Post town, Holsworthy, North Devon. Acres, 3,593. Real property, £2,429. Pop., 441. Houses, 89. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £300.* Patron, W. B. Coham, Esq. The church is early English, with a Norman doorway. There are alms houses with £38 a year.

Sutcombe through time

Sutcombe is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sutcombe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sutcombe, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2427

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sutcombe ".