Place:


Cotmanhay  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cotmanhay like this:

COTMANHAY, a hamlet in Ilkeston parish, and a chapelry in Ilkeston and Heanor parishes, Derby. The hamlet adjoins the Erewash river, canal, and railway, at the boundary with Notts, 1½ mile N of Ilkeston. The chapelry was constituted in 1845; and its post town is Ilkeston, under Nottingham. Pop., 2, 615. Houses, 514. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £150.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. There are two Methodist chapels.

Additional information about this locality is available for Ilkeston

Cotmanhay through time

Cotmanhay is now part of Erewash district. Click here for graphs and data of how Erewash has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cotmanhay itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cotmanhay, in Erewash and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24255

Date accessed: 06th June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cotmanhay ".