Place:


Wetley Rocks  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wetley Rocks like this:

WETLEY-ROCKS, a chapelry in Cheddleton and Caverswall, parishes, Stafford; 2 miles SW of Cheddleton r. station, and 5 NW by N of Cheadle. It has a post-office under Stoke-on-Trent. Pop., 950. The property is subdivided. Wetley Abbey and Consall Hall are chief residences. Wetley Rocks proper are a hilly ridge 150 feet high, and ¾ mile long. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £70.* Patrons, the Sneyd Family. The church is good; and there are a New Connexion Methodist chapel, and a national school.

Additional information about this locality is available for Cheddleton

Wetley Rocks through time

Wetley Rocks is now part of Staffordshire Moorlands district. Click here for graphs and data of how Staffordshire Moorlands has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wetley Rocks itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wetley Rocks in Staffordshire Moorlands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24181

Date accessed: 05th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wetley Rocks ".