Place:


Hales  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hales like this:

HALES, a township and a chapelry in Drayton-in-Hales parish, Stafford. The township is united with BLOORE, which see. The chapelry lies adjacent to Salop, 2 ½ miles E of Market-Drayton r. station, and was constituted in 1856. Post town, Market-Drayton. Real property, £2, 599. Pop., 318. Houses, 63. The property is divided among a few. Hales Hall is the seat of the Rev. A. H. Buchanan. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £100. Patron, the Rev. A. H. Buchanan. The church was built in 1856. There is a national school.

Additional information about this locality is available for Market Drayton

Hales through time

Hales is now part of Newcastle under Lyme district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newcastle under Lyme has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hales itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hales, in Newcastle under Lyme and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24148

Date accessed: 23rd June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hales".