Place:


Great Haywood  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Haywood like this:

HAYWOOD (GREAT), a township and a chapelry in Colwich and Stow parishes, Stafford. The township lies on the river Trent, the Grand Trunk canal, and the Trent Valley railway, 1¼ mile NNW of Colwich r. station, and 4 NW by N of Rugeley; and has a post-office under Stafford. The chapelry was constituted in 1854. Pop., 904. Houses, 192. Pop. of the Colwich portion, 689. Houses, 145. The property is not much divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £110.* Patron, the Earl of Lichfield. The church is good.

Additional information about this locality is available for Colwich

Great Haywood through time

Great Haywood is now part of Stafford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stafford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Haywood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Haywood, in Stafford and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24147

Date accessed: 29th March 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Haywood ".