Place:


Cotes  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cotes like this:

COTES, a township and a chapelry in Eccleshall parish, Stafford. The township lies adjacent to the North-western railway, about a mile from Standon-Bridge station, and 4¼ NNE of Eccleshall. Real property, £1, 761. Pop., 288. Houses, 66. The chapelry bears the name of Cotes-Heath; and was constituted in 1844. Post town, Standon, under Eccleshall. Pop., 479. Houses, 101. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Eccles hall.

Additional information about this locality is available for Eccleshall

Cotes through time

Cotes is now part of Stafford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stafford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cotes itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cotes, in Stafford and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24135

Date accessed: 20th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cotes ".