Place:


Burtle  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burtle like this:

BURTLE, a chapelry in Moorlinch parish, Somerset: 3½ miles SSW of Edington-Road r. station, and 5½ ENE of Bridgewater. Post Town, Chilton, under Bridgewater. Pop., 248. Houses, 47. It was constituted in 1856. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £100. Patron, miss Field. The church is very good.

The location is that named as "Edington Burtle" on our New Popular edition map, which is called simply "Burtle" on the modern 1:25,000 map. Additional information about this locality is available for Moorlinch

Burtle through time

Burtle is now part of Sedgemoor district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sedgemoor has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burtle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burtle, in Sedgemoor and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24100

Date accessed: 04th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burtle ".