Place:


Wembworthy  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wembworthy like this:

WEMBWORTHY, a parish, with a small village, in Crediton district, Devon; near Eggesford r. station, and 4 miles SSW of Chulmleigh. It has a post-office, designated Wembworthy, North Devon. Acres, 2,411. Real property, £1,545. Pop., 453. Houses, 90. Most of the land belongs to the Earl of Portsmouth. Rashleigh-Barton belongs to J. H. Tremayne, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £146.* Patrons, the Rev. J. P. Johnson and others. The church was enlarged and beautified about 1830. There is a national school.

Wembworthy through time

Wembworthy is now part of Mid Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wembworthy itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wembworthy in Mid Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2407

Date accessed: 25th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wembworthy ".