Place:


Molland  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Molland like this:

MOLLAND, a parish, with a scattered village, in South Molton district, Devon; near the boundary with Somerset, 6½ miles ENE of South Molton, and 13½ NE of Eggesford r. station. Post town, South Molton, North Devon. Acres, 6,168. Real property, £3,427. Pop., 598. Houses, 96. ...


The manor belonged to the Bottreaux family; is sometimes called Molland-Bottreaux; passed to the Hungerford, the Courtenays, and the Throckmortons; and belongs now to Sir W. Throckmorton, Bart. West Molland, about a mile from the village, is a fine old mansion. About 1.703 acres are moorland about 70 fathoms, and was abandoned; and a new one has been worked to the depth of about 26 fathoms. An ancient camp is under Molland Down. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Knowstone, in the diocese of Exeter. The church is later English; comprises nave, N aisle, and chancel; contains monuments of the Courtenays, and one of the Rev. D. Berry; and was recently in a very dilapidated condition. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bible Christians, an endowed school with £20 a year, and charities £41.

Molland through time

Molland is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Molland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Molland in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2404

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Molland ".