Place:


New Town  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described New Town like this:

NEW TOWN, a chapelry in Southampton, St. Mary and South Stoneham parishes, Hants; on Southampton-water at the Southwestern railway, in the E N E suburbs of Southampton. It was constituted in 1853. Post-town, Southampton. Pop. in 1861, 3, 348. Houses, 618. The South Stoneham portion is part of Portswoodtything. Pop., 945. Houses, 188. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester.

The location is where the name "New Town" appears on the modern 1:25,000 map. Additional information about this locality is available for Southampton

New Town through time

New Town is now part of Southampton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Southampton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about New Town itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of New Town, in Southampton and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24034

Date accessed: 15th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "New Town".