Place:


Godshill  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Godshill like this:

GODSHILL, a tything and a political parish, in Fordingbridge district, Hants. The tything is in. Fordingbridge parish; lies 1 mile W of Fordingbridge town; and has remains of an ancient encampment, defended, on the one side, by a natural steep acclivity, -on the other, by a double trench and ramparts. Pop. in 1851, 82. The political parish was formed under the Act 20 Vict. c. 19; includes the tything; and comprehends also six otherwise extra-parochial places, called Godshill, Godshill-Wood, New Grounds, Mudmore, Amberwood, and Ashley Lodge. Pop. in 1861, 255. Houses, 63.

Additional information about this locality is available for Fordingbridge

Godshill through time

Godshill is now part of New Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how New Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Godshill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Godshill, in New Forest and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24024

Date accessed: 24th June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Godshill ".