Place:


Weir  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Weir like this:

WEIR, a chapelry in St. Paul-Within, St. Peter, and St. Philip and St. Jacob parishes, Gloucester; within. Bristol city. It was constituted in 1846. Pop., 4,011. Houses, 569. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £150.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. See Bristol.

The location is that of the church of St Matthias-on-the-Weir. Additional information about this locality is available for Bristol

Weir through time

Weir is now part of Bristol district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bristol has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Weir itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Weir, in Bristol and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24008

Date accessed: 10th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Weir ".