Place:


Stoke Bishop  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stoke Bishop like this:

STOKE-BISHOP, a tything and a chapelry in Westbury-upon-Trym parish, Gloucester. The tything lies on the river Avon, 2½ miles NW of Bristol r. station; has a post-office under Bristol; and contains many residences of the principal merchants and manufacturers of Bristol. Real property, £34.818. Pop. in 1851, 4,213; in 1861, 5,623. Houses, 887. The chapelry was constituted in 1860. Pop., 554. Houses, 88. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, not reported. Patrons, Trustees. The church is modern.

Additional information about this locality is available for Westbury on Trym

Stoke Bishop through time

Stoke Bishop is now part of Bristol district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bristol has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stoke Bishop itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stoke Bishop, in Bristol and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24003

Date accessed: 10th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stoke Bishop ".