Place:


Blakeney  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Blakeney like this:

BLAKENEY, a chapelry in Awre parish, Gloucester; on the W side of the Severn, and on the South Wales railway, near Gatcombe station, and 3½ miles S by W of Newnham. It has a post office ‡ under Newnham, and fairs on 12 May and 12 Nov. Real property, £4,159. Pop., 1,079. Houses, 211. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of G. and Br. Value, £232. Patrons, the Haberdashers' Company. The church is modern. There are Independent and Baptist chapels and two public schools.

Additional information about this locality is available for Awre

Blakeney through time

Blakeney is now part of Forest of Dean district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest of Dean has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Blakeney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blakeney, in Forest of Dean and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23966

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Blakeney ".