Place:


Coalpit Heath  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coalpit Heath like this:

COALPIT-HEATH, a hamlet in Westerleigh parish, and a chapelry in Westerleigh and Frampton-Cotterell parishes, Gloucester. The hamlet lies near the Bristol and Gloucester railway, 2 miles SW of Yate r. station, and 3¼ WSW of Chipping-Sodbury; and has a post office under Bristol. The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Pop., 1,828. Houses, 393. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £150. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is good.

Additional information about this locality is available for Westerleigh

Coalpit Heath through time

Coalpit Heath is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Coalpit Heath itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coalpit Heath in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23926

Date accessed: 25th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Coalpit Heath ".