Place:


Winterbourne Down  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Winterbourne Down like this:

WINTERBOURNE-DOWN, a chapelry in Winterbourne parish, Gloucester; 2¾ miles ENE of Filton r. station, and 5½ NE by N of Bristol. It was constituted in 1861; and its Post town is Winterbourne, under Bristol. Pop., 750. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £96.* Patron, St. John s College, Oxford. The church contains 250 sittings.

Additional information about this locality is available for Winterbourne

Winterbourne Down through time

Winterbourne Down is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Winterbourne Down itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Winterbourne Down in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23881

Date accessed: 06th June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Winterbourne Down ".