Place:


Exwick  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Exwick like this:

EXWICK, a hamlet-chapelry in St. Thomas parish, Devon; near the South Devon railway, 1 ½ mile WNW of Exeter. It has a post office under Exeter. The statistics are returned with the parish. Several gentle. men's seats are here, in situations commanding fine views; and Exwick hill is noted for its noble view of Exeter. The living is a curacy, annexed to the vicarage of St. Thomas, in the diocese of Exeter. The church was built in 1842; consists of nave and chancel; is in the early English style; and has rich interior decorations.

Additional information about this locality is available for Exeter

Exwick through time

Exwick is now part of Exeter district. Click here for graphs and data of how Exeter has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Exwick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Exwick, in Exeter and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23854

Date accessed: 21st June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Exwick".