Place:


Newgate Street  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newgate Street like this:

NEWGATE-STREET, a hamlet-chapelry in Hatfield parish, Herts; near the boundary with Middlesex, 4 miles W of Cheshunt r. station, and 6 S E of Hatfield. Post-town, Northaw, under Barnet. The statistics arereturned with the parish. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £100.* Patron, Miss Mills. The church was built and endowed by Thomas Mills, Esq.; is a handsome, small, cruciform edifice, in the early English style; and has fine stained glass windows and a carved stone pulpit.

Newgate Street through time

Newgate Street is now part of Welwyn Hatfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Welwyn Hatfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newgate Street itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newgate Street, in Welwyn Hatfield and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23804

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newgate Street ".