Place:


Summertown  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Summertown like this:

SUMMERTOWN, a chapelry in St. Giles parish, Oxfordshire; adjacent to the Oxford and Bletchley railway, 2 miles N of Oxford. It was constituted in 1833; and it has a post-office under Oxford. Pop., 1,088. Houses, 250. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £137. Patron, St. John's College, Oxford.

Additional information about this locality is available for Oxford

Summertown through time

Summertown is now part of Oxford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Oxford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Summertown itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Summertown, in Oxford and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23774

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Summertown ".