Place:


Osney  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Osney like this:

OSNEY, or Oseney, an islet in the S border of Oxfordshire; in the river Isis, ½ a mile W of Oxford. An Augustinian priory was founded here, in 1074, by Robert D' Oyley; was made the seat of a bishopric in 1542; and has left some vestiges. The seat of the bishopric was early translated from it to St. Frideswide's in the city of Oxford. See Oxford.

Additional information about this locality is available for Oxford

Osney through time

Osney is now part of Oxford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Oxford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Osney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Osney, in Oxford and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23773

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Osney ".