Place:


Headington Quarry  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Headington Quarry like this:

HEADINGTON-QUARRY, a chapelry in Headington district, Oxfordshire; 3½ miles E of Oxford r. station. It was constituted in 1850; and it comprises the extraparochial tract of Shotover-Hill-Place, and part of the parish of Headington. Post town, Headington, under Oxford. Pop., 684. Houses, 129. Pop. of the part in Headington parish, 606. Houses, 113. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £124.* Patron, the Bishop of Oxford.

The location is that marked as "Headington Quarry" on the modern 1:25,000 map. Additional information about this locality is available for Headington

Headington Quarry through time

Headington Quarry is now part of Oxford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Oxford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Headington Quarry itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Headington Quarry, in Oxford and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23771

Date accessed: 16th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Headington Quarry ".