Place:


Upper Norwood  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upper Norwood like this:

NORWOOD-ALL SAINTS, a chapelry in Croydon parish, Surrey; around Upper Norwood village, and near Gipsy Hill and Crystal Palace and Norward Junction r stations, 3 miles N by E of Croydon. It was constituted in 1845; and it has post-offices‡ of Norwood-Crownhill, Anerley-Road, and Westow-Hill, under London S. Pop. in 1861, 4,060. Houses, 658. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £550.* Patron, the Vicar of Croydon. The church was built in 1829. See Norwood, Surrey.

Additional information about this locality is available for Norwood

Upper Norwood through time

Upper Norwood is now part of Croydon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Croydon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Upper Norwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upper Norwood, in Croydon and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23670

Date accessed: 21st April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Upper Norwood".