Place:


Hartshorne  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hartshorne like this:

HARTSHORN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, and county of Derby. The village stands 3 miles W of the boundary with Leicestershire, and 3 ½ NW of Ashby-de-le-Zouch r. station: and has a post office under Burton-upon-Trent. The parish comprises 2, 510 acres. ...


Real property, £6, 618. Pop. in 1851, 1, 350; in 1861, 1, 541. Houses, 315. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of coal mining and pottery manufacture. The property is divided among a few. An old manor House is occupied by Mrs. Mansfield. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £540. * Patrons, the Earl of Chesterfield and Nadin, Esq. The church is ancient, with a tower; and was partly re-built in 1835. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, an endowed school with £77, other charities with £13, a handsome new girls' school, mainly supported by the rector.—The sub-district contains also three other parishes, parts of two more, and an extra-parochial tract in Derbyshire, and parts of three parishes in Leicestershire. Acres, 14, 007. Pop., 6, 207. Houses, 1, 319.

Hartshorne through time

Hartshorne is now part of South Derbyshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Derbyshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hartshorne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hartshorne in South Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2363

Date accessed: 10th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hartshorne ".