Place:


Burrington  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burrington like this:

BURRINGTON, a parish in South Molton district, Devon; on the rivers, Moule and Taw, 2 miles WNW of Portsmouth Arms r. station, and 4 NW of Chumleigh. Post Town, Chumleigh, North Devon. Acres, 5,330. Real property, £4,115. Pop., 939. Houses, 188. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to Tavistock Abbey, and belongs now to the Earl of Portsmouth. ...


Northcote belonged once to the Hankfords; passed to the Pollards; and belongs now to the Buckinghams. The surface of the parish is diversified, and shows some romantic scenery. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £276.* Patron, W. Buckingham, Esq. The church is an edifice of different dates, from about 1150 to 1550; consists of nave, chancel, and south aisle, with an embattled tower; and has a handsome screen. There are chapels for Plymouth Brethren and Bible Christians.

Burrington through time

Burrington is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burrington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burrington in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2359

Date accessed: 25th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burrington ".