Place:


Southwater  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Southwater like this:

SOUTHWATER, a village in Horsham parish, and a chapelry partly also in Shipley parish, Sussex. The village stands adjacent to the Horsham and Brighton railway, 3 miles S by W of Horsham; and has a r. station with telegraph. The chapelry was constituted in 1853. Post town, Horsham. Pop., 703. Houses, 111. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £45.* Patron, the Vicar of Horsham. The church was built in 1850. There is a parochial school.

Southwater through time

Southwater is now part of Horsham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Horsham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Southwater itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Southwater, in Horsham and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23538

Date accessed: 21st June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Southwater".