Place:


Denby  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Denby like this:

DENBY, a parish in Belper district, Derby; on the Ripley railway, 3¼ miles ESE of Belper. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Derby. Acres, 2, 395. Real property, £6, 368; of which £1, 700 are in mines. Pop., 1, 338. Houses, 249. The property is divided among a few. ...


Most of the inhabitants are miners, potters, or stocking-makers. Coal mines, formerly worked here, were recently exhausted. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £130. Patron, W. D. Lowe, Esq. The church is ancient but good; was recently enlarged; and has a tower and spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowed school with £48 a year. Flamsteed, the astronomer, was a native.

Denby through time

Denby is now part of Amber Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Amber Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Denby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Denby, in Amber Valley and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2353

Date accessed: 07th March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Denby ".