Place:


South Norwood  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Norwood like this:

NORWOOD-ST. MARK, a chapelry in Croydon parish, Surrey; around South Norwood village and Norwood-Junction r. station, 2¼ miles N N E of Croydon. It was constituted in 1859; and it has a post-office‡ of South Norwood, under London S. Pop. in 1861, 1, 489. Houses, 279. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, not reported.* Patron, the Vicar of Norwood-All Saints. See Norwood, Surrey.

Additional information about this locality is available for Norwood

South Norwood through time

South Norwood is now part of Croydon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Croydon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Norwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Norwood, in Croydon and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23511

Date accessed: 21st June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "South Norwood".