Place:


Tartu  Estonia

 

In 1919, William Henry Beable's Russian Gazetteer and Guide described Tartu like this:

Dorpat, a town of 50,000 inhabitants in the government of Livonia, is now officially known as Yuriev, but is better known by its old name. It lies on the Riga-Reval railway, 156 miles from the former and 118 from the latter town. Its agricultural show, held annually in August, attracts a large number of visitors. ...


Dorpat has alternately belonged to Russia, Poland and Sweden. Its most noteworthy feature is the old University, founded by Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden in 1632, and which now has about 3,000 students. Since 1895 the lectures have been delivered in Russian. In the most prominent part of the town, the Domberg, are the ruins of an old Cathedral and the University Library with 247,000 volumes. The Town Hall is in the Grosser Markt ; and the Old University in Ritter Street, the chief street of the town. The Botanic Garden, Techelfer Park, and the Ratshov Chateau, with one of the most important collections of pictures in the Baltic Provinces, are other points of interest.
Hotels: London, Petrograd, Bellevue and Commerce.

The location is that given by GeoNames.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tartu, in and Estonia | Map and description, A Vision of Europe through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofeurope.eu/place/23493

Date accessed: 04th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Europe through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tartu ".