Place:


Codnor  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Codnor like this:

CODNOR, a hamlet in Heanor parish, and a chapelry in Heanor, Derby, and Pentrich parishes, and in Codnor-Park extra-parochial tract, Derby. The hamlet lies near the Erewash river, canal, and railway, 2 miles W of Codnor-Park r. station, and 5½ ENE of Belper; and has a post office under Alfreton. ...


Pop., 3, 829. Houses, 736. The chapelry bears the name of Codnor-with-Loscoe; and was constituted in 1844. Rated property, £5, 950. Pop., 2, 219. The property is much subdivided. Many of the inhabitants are employed in stocking-making, in coal-mines, and in iron-works. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £150. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is modern; and there are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, national schools, and charities £. 11.

Codnor through time

Codnor is now part of Amber Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Amber Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Codnor itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Codnor, in Amber Valley and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2349

Date accessed: 01st March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Codnor ".