Place:


Bossington  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bossington like this:

BOSSINGTON, a parish in Stockbridge district, Hants; on the river Anton, and on the Roman road from Winchester to Sarum, adjacent to the Andover railway, 3½ miles SSW of Stockbridge. Post Town, Broughton, under Winchester. Acres, 615. Real property, £722. Pop., 45. Houses, 9. The property is all in one estate. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory o Broughton, in the diocese of Winchester. The church was rebuilt in 1839; and is a handsome edifice, of stone and flint, in the early English style.

Bossington through time

Bossington is now part of Test Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Test Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bossington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bossington, in Test Valley and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2343

Date accessed: 21st June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bossington".