Place:


Milton  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Milton like this:

MILTON, a hamlet and a chapelry in Portsea parish, Hants. The hamlet lies on Langston harbour, 2 miles E of Portsmouth r. station; and has a post office under Portsmouth. The chapelry was constituted in 1844. Pop., 3,896. Houses, 352. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £100.* Patron, the Vicar of Portsea.

Milton through time

Milton is now part of Portsmouth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Portsmouth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Milton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Milton, in Portsmouth and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23360

Date accessed: 23rd May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Milton ".