Place:


Smallhythe  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Smallhythe like this:

SMALL-HYTHE, a chapelry in Tenterden parish, Kent; on an affluent of the river Rother, 2¼ miles SE of Tenterden, and 5½ W of Appledore r. station. Post town, Tenterden, under Staplehurst. Pop., 250. An estuary extended hither from Rye, so late as the middle of the 16th century. The living is a donative in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £107. Patrons, the House-holders of Dumborne-in-Tenterden.

Smallhythe through time

Smallhythe is now part of Ashford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ashford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Smallhythe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Smallhythe, in Ashford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23345

Date accessed: 23rd June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Smallhythe".