Place:


Swanmore  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swanmore like this:

SWANMORE, a chapelry in Ryde parish, Isle of Wight; near Ryde r. station. It was constituted in 1865; and its Post town is Ryde. Pop., about 900. The living is a p curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, not reported.* Patron, Mrs. E. Wix. The church was partly built in 1862; and is in the early English style, cruciform, with central tower.

Swanmore through time

Swanmore is now part of the Isle of Wight district. Click here for graphs and data of how the Isle of Wight has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Swanmore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swanmore, in The the Isle of Wight and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23313

Date accessed: 24th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Swanmore ".