Place:


Hyde  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hyde like this:

HYDE, or HYDE-COMMON, a chapelry in Fordingbridge parish, Hants; adjacent to Wilts and to the New Forest, 4 miles NNE of Fordingbridge r. station, and 10½ N by E of Ringwood. It was constituted in 1855; and its post town is Fordingbridge, under Salisbury. Pop., 837. Houses, 180. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £178. * Patron, the Rev. R. P. Warren. The church is good.

Hyde through time

Hyde is now part of New Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how New Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hyde itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hyde, in New Forest and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23299

Date accessed: 14th June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hyde ".