Place:


Newtown  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newtown like this:

NEWTOWN-NEAR-NEWBURY, a village and a parish in the district of Newbury and county of Hants. The village stands on the river Enbourne at the boundary with Berks, 2 miles S by E of Newbury r. station; and has a post-office under Newbury. The parish comprises 475 acres. Real property, £741. ...


Pop., 276. Houses, 62. The manor belongs to the Earl of Carnarvon. Newtown House is the chief residence. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Burghclere, in the diocese of Winchester. The church was rebuilt in 1865; is in the early English style, of flint and Bathstone; and has an octagonal tower, painted glass windows, polished oak roof, and tesselated pavement. There are a Baptist chapel, and an endowed school with £10 a year.

Newtown through time

Newtown is now part of Basingstoke and Deane district. Click here for graphs and data of how Basingstoke and Deane has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newtown itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newtown, in Basingstoke and Deane and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2328

Date accessed: 14th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newtown".