Place:


Grateley  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Grateley like this:

GRATELEY, a parish in Andover district, Hants; on the London, Yeovil, and Exeter railway, near the boundary with Wilts, 6½ miles WSW of Andover. It has a station on the railway; and its post town is Andover. Acres, 1, 541. Real property, with Quarney, £2, 522. Rated property of G. ...


alone, £1, 229. Pop., 176. Houses, 40. The property is divided among a few. A village once stood here which dated from the Saxon times, was the place of a witenagemote under Athelstane, and is traditionally said to have had five churches. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £284. Patron, the Rev. Baron Paravicini. The church is early English and good; and has some fragments of very fine early English stained glass, the rest of which was removed to Salisbury cathedral. There are a free school, and charities £40.

Grateley through time

Grateley is now part of Test Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Test Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Grateley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Grateley, in Test Valley and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2320

Date accessed: 07th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Grateley ".