Place:


Briston  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Briston like this:

BRISTON, or Burston, a village and a parish in Erpingham district, Norfolk. The village stands on the river Bure, 4 miles SSW of Holt, and 9 ENE of Ryburgh r. station; and has a post office under Thetford, a fortnightly stock market, and a cattle fair on 26 May. The parish comprises 2,751 acres. ...


Pop., 931. Houses, 232. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £317. Patron, Lord Hastings. The church is decorated and perpendicular English, and had formerly a round tower. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £9.

Briston through time

Briston is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Briston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Briston in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2312

Date accessed: 28th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Briston".