Place:


Mystyrrhoes Llowdy  Radnorshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mystyrrhoes Llowdy like this:

MYSTYRRHOES-LLOWDY, a township in Llandewy-Ystradenny parish, Radnorshire; 8½ miles N W of New Radnor. Real property, £2,056. Pop., 337.

The location is based on the description given by Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833): "MEISTYRRHOSE LOWRY ... 1 mile (N. E.) from Penybont ... It occupies the lower part of the parish, where the Cymmaron stream falls into the river Ithon, which is here crossed by a bridge. The name denotes the fenny nature of the ground, a large common, much reduced by cultivation, having formerly existed here near the junction of those rivers." (http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/RAD/LlanddewiYstradenni/Gaz1868.html, accessed 9/3/2011). The name has not been found on a topographic map.

Mystyrrhoes Llowdy through time

Mystyrrhoes Llowdy is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mystyrrhoes Llowdy itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mystyrrhoes Llowdy, in Powys and Radnorshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23036

Date accessed: 25th June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mystyrrhoes Llowdy ".