Place:


Newton  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newton like this:

NEWTON, a village in Oystermouth parish, Glamorgan; on the coast, 5½ miles S W of Swansea. It is a sub-port to Swansea, and a decayed bathing-place. The estate around it belongs to the Guests. Newton Down and Sandford intermittent spring are in its vicinity; and the former is traversed by the Julian way, and commands a fine view.

Newton through time

Newton is now part of Swansea district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swansea has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newton, in Swansea and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22994

Date accessed: 25th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newton ".