Place:


Swanwick  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swanwick like this:

SWANWICK, a chapelry in Alfreton parish, Derby; 2 miles SW by S of Alfreton r. station. It was constituted in Nov. 1861; and it has a post-office under Alfreton. Pop., 2,040. S. Hall is the seat of the Rev. H. Wood. Coal is largely worked. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £103. Patron, F. Wright, Esq The church was built in 1860, and is in the geometric style. There are Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels, a free school, and large new schools for girls and infants.

Swanwick through time

Swanwick is now part of Amber Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Amber Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Swanwick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swanwick, in Amber Valley and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22981

Date accessed: 01st March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Swanwick ".