Place:


Martyr Worthy  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Martyr Worthy like this:

MARTYR-WORTHY, a parish in Winchester district, Hants; near the Southwestern railway, 3 miles NE by N of Winchester. It contains the tything of Chilland; and its Post town is Winchester. Acres, 1,974. Real pro perty, £2,977. Pop., 259. Houses, 45. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to G. ...


E. Wall, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Valne, £343. * Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church has good Norman doorways, and a wooden tower; and is in good condition. The churchyard contains a rich coped tomb. There is an endowed school with £7 a year.

Martyr Worthy through time

Martyr Worthy is now part of Winchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Winchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Martyr Worthy itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Martyr Worthy, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2297

Date accessed: 14th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Martyr Worthy".