Place:


Luton  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Luton like this:

LUTON, a chapelry in Chatham parish, Kent; 1½ mile SE of Chatham r. station. It was constituted in 1852; and it has a post office under Chatham. Pop. in 1861,2,730. Houses, 580. The property is divided among a few. Brick-making is largely carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £80.* Patron, the Rector of Chatham. The church is good.

Luton through time

Luton is now part of Medway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Medway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Luton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Luton, in Medway and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22938

Date accessed: 26th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Luton ".